There are ten things which awaken Taqwa (Fear of Allah):
- Fear of punishment in the next life;
- Fear [of punishment] in this life;
- Hope of worldly reward;
- Hope of the reward of the next world;
- Fear of the reckoning;
- Shyness and bashfulness before the gaze of Allah, and this is the station of fearful watchfulness [muraqabah];
- Showing gratitude for His blessings by obeying Him;
- Knowledge, because of His words, “They only fear Allah, of His slaves, the ones who have knowledge”;
- Exalting and honouring His majesty, and it is the station of awe;
- Sincerity in love for Allah.
Source: Al-Kalbi, Ibn Juzayy. Kitabu-t Tashil li ‘Ulumu-t Tanzil. Trans. Abdassamad Clarke. Unpublished.